, , ,

The unpopularity of the Brotherhood receded slightly when a few weeks after his inauguration Morsi relieved the extremely unpopular leaders of SCAF of their positions, retired them with honor and decorations and appointed them as advisors to the President. But this slight surge in popularity did not last long.
Slowly the general trend within the Government started solidifying in a very clear bias to the Brotherhood at the expense of everybody else, but in particular the youth who were beginning to be vociferous in their criticism of the Brotherhood. A young 18 year old called Gaber Salah aka Jica, started a new Facebook page called “Against the Brotherhood”. The first demonstration he went out for was the anniversary of the Mohamed Mahmoud street massacre of the previous year. Eye witnesses testified that he was pointed out by some informants,then he was shot in the head and killed. His was the first of many such deaths of young internet activists against the Brotherhood. It was the beginning of the reign of terror while the Brotherhood was in charge. Evidence was found, advertised, then the official authorities buried it, of several abductions, torture and killing of young internet activists. The more that happened the angrier the people became, till on November 22, 2012, Morsi issued a Presidential Decree which gave total immunity to all previous and future decrees by him from any judicial objections. The fascist state was in place. It was no longer the youth who objected, it was everybody who was not a Brotherhood member or affiliate. A full upheaval took place, not only did Tahrir fill up again, but also a very large demonstration went on a march to the Itehadeya Palace, where Morsi resided. Some youth pitched tents and began a sit in there in protest.
It was during one of the worst periods in these demonstrations where the Brotherhood members arrested several people randomly, cornered them outside the gates of the palace and systematically beat and tortured them trying to elicit confessions that they were being paid by the opposition to demonstrate against Morsi. These were just ordinary citizens, one an ex Egyptian Ambassador, another a Christian businessman who was brutally beaten and the clip of his torture and bloodied bare torso went viral over the Internet. Some were even taken inside the palace and tortured in there. All this was recorded by individuals through their mobile telephones. Another clip that went viral worldwide was that of the poor carpenter who was beaten and stripped in the street, then bundled into one of the police cars there. At that time many strange looking bearded men were in uniform with the police and were armed. Their behavior differed from the run of the mill police, they were far more vicious and quite often used excessive force. It was strongly suspected that these were the militia set up by the Deputy of the Morshid, Khairat el Shater, to be the iron fist by which to implement their plans when the police balked at the use of force or at killing anybody.
It was at Itehadeya palace that one of the most active journalists was cold bloodedly assassinated by a bullet to the head. El Hoseiny Abu Deif was taking pictures of those who were shooting the people when he was shot at close range in the back of the head. His camera disappeared. So the Brotherhood started on its path of violence and murder. And the people started rising against them in earnest.
Parallel to these assassinations were the threats to both the Judiciary and the Media. The General Prosecutor was offered the position of Ambassador to the Vatican which he turned down, but was replaced anyway by one hand picked by the President. Another MB sleeper.
Continued … One Year Under Morsi’s Rule – Part 3